FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Who Is Eligible to be a member?
- What Are the Different Membership Categories?
- Can I be a member of SMCMA but not CMA?
- What Are My Payment Options?
- Are My Dues Tax-Deductible?
- How Can I Update My Information with SMCMA?
Membership in the SMCMA is open to Physicians who live and/or work within San Mateo County, who possess a U.S. doctor of medicine degree (MD) or doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO), or a recognized international equivalent; and resident physicians who are attending an accredited residency or fellowship in San Mateo County.
- Regular Active (Practicing Physicians): Physicians who have earned their doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy degree and are residing in and practicing in the United States
- Government Employed: San Mateo County-employed physicians
- Semi-retired Physician: Physicians ages 65 or older and are no more than 1-20 hours per week
- Retired Physician: Physicians of any age who are fully retired from the practice of medicine
- Resident: Resident physician enrolled in accredited medical training or fellowship programs in San Mateo County
No, we are a unified association, and you must also belong to CMA to be a member of SMCMA. We believe the key to our organization’s strength is its excellent collaborative relationships with CMA and other county chapters.
SMCMA accepts payment by check, Visa, Mastercard, and American Express credit cards. You can remit a lump-sum payment, or set up an automatic renewal and/or quarterly installment plan with a credit card. To sign up for automatic renewal or the quarterly installment plan, contact SMCMA at (650) 312-1663.
SMCMA and CMA dues are not deductible as a charitable contribution for federal income tax purposes, but may be partially deductible as a business expense. To find out the perecentage of your current year's dues that cannot be deducted as a business expense for federal income tax purposes (typically around 33%), please see your invoice or contact SMCMA at (650) 312-1663.
You can email your changes to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the SMCMA Membership Department at (650) 312-1663.